Medellin and Antioquia: Our highlights and itinerary ideas
Antioquia is one of the largest departments in Colombia, with lands from the Caribbean Coast to the Coffee regions. Its biodiversity and various landscapes are breath-taking and deserve at least one week of your time if you decide to venture on this side of Colombia. You will choose between mountain sceneries, vast green valleys, crystal-water rivers, romantic fincas – farms, coffee or cacao plantations, and peaceful colonial towns.
Tourism grows fast in Antioquia and Medellin. However, there are still many places unknown to most travelers. Through our travel services, we offer you the possibility to skip the crowded “Must-do” and add the hidden gems of this department to your Colombia itinerary.
Medellin is an excellent example of an innovative city that tries by different methods to reconnect the most impoverished districts with its center. Medellin is ideally located and offers many options to reach another destination of your Colombia tour. Choose between the Pacific or Caribbean Coast, the Coffee region, Bogota or Cali, and the South of Colombia.
Examples of activities in Medellin and Antioquia that we can add to your Colombia itinerary:
- Rafting and Kayaking: Rivers and watercourses are everywhere in Colombia. Some of them pass through breath-taking sceneries, perfect for making exceptional experiences.
- Paragliding: Enjoy the view on the Andean mountains, its lush vegetation, and the rivers flowing all around.
- Canyoning: The topography and the many streams make it perfect for practicing this activity. Besides, the landscapes are incredible.
- Visit Colonial towns: Guatape is a highlight present in most of the Colombia itinerary. However, there are other colonial towns, less known and more authentic.
- Enjoy fantastic viewpoints: Some towns like Tamesis or Horizontes offer astonishing views of the Madalena valley. It’s perfect for meditating 🙂
- Horseriding: Explore places on the back of your horse. It’s entertaining (and a bit painful the first time…)
- Learn about coffee: In Antioquia, coffee growths everywhere. Find out about all the different steps to make a good cup of coffee, from the plantation to the delicious beverage. It’s a cultural experience where you can exchange and share with Colombian families.
- Enjoy Medellin by night: With its numerous bars, restaurants, nightclubs, and cultural events, Medellin nightlife is a lot of fun. Enjoy!
- Have a look at Fernando Botero’s masterpieces: World-known Painter and Sculptor; this “Paisa” gave to Medellin 23 bronze statues that you can contemplate on the main square. Don’t forget to visit the museum while you’re there!
- Learn about district transformation in Medellin: With top-notch local guides, visit districts like La Sierra, Moravia, or Comuna 13. Exchange with locals to get an oversight into their daily life and understand the significant changes occurring in the neighborhood — an in-depth experience.
- Dance Salsa: As you know, Salsa is famous in Colombia. In Medellin, there are many places where you can dance or watch other great dancers while drinking beers with friends. Don’t hesitate to take some classes. There is an option for every level!