Villa de Leyva and Boyaca: Our highlights and itinerary ideas
Villa de Leyva is at a 4-h car drive North from Bogota. This well-known town is famous for its colonial buildings and enormous central square. Its department, Boyaca, offers excellent hiking opportunities to discover the paramos in various natural national parks as Ocetta, Iguaque, and Cocuy.
Altogether, Villa de Leyva is an excellent destination to add to your Colombia itinerary if you land in Bogota. Stroll among the cobblestone alleys while contemplating the superb colonial architecture and colorful woodworks. Hire a local guide and learn exciting historical facts about the town and its department, or visit museums with massive dinosaur fossils.
Also, Villa de Leyva is an excellent place if you like eating well. Head to La Feria to devour delicious tapas within a pleasant atmosphere, buy a mouth-watering “pain au chocolat” at the Astral bakery and order a millefeuille for dessert at la Galleta. Otherwise, you can book a table at one of the best restaurants in town to eat a top-notch dinner with a succulent glass of red wine.
In addition to upscale restaurants, travelers can rest in cozy hotels and plan a SPA session. As you noticed, Villa de Leyva is ideal for a romantic getaway.
If you’ve plenty of energy, don’t worry. We got you covered too. Organize a bike expedition to discover the various highlights around Villa de Leyva – Waterfalls, museums, Terracota house, hidden valleys – or hike to the Iguaque Paramo. During this trip, you can observe the specific fauna and flora of this unique ecosystem and enjoy outstanding sceneries of mountains, lakes, and valleys. If it’s not enough, head to La Romera to rappel down a 40m deep chasm. Adrenaline rush guaranteed.
Villa de Leyva has a lot to offer, and it will be the ideal complement to your stay in Bogota. It’s a destination for everyone: young lovers, families, and friends.
Here are a few examples of activities we can add to your Colombia itinerary if you want to explore Villa de Leyva:
- Biking expedition: Pick an itinerary with the highlights you want to discover and spend the day at your own pace.
- Hike through the Paramo Iguaque: Paramo is a unique ecosystem present in 4 countries in the world.
- Rappelling: There is a bunch of beautiful waterfalls in the area.
- Explore a chasm: La Romera is a 40m deep gorge that you can explore. Get top-quality equipment to go down then climb back using the roots of a tree! It’s a fantastic experience.
- Eat Eat Eat: Gourmet dishes, delicious dessert, local snacks, typical specialties, there are top-notch restaurants in Villa de Leyva.
- Wander in Villa de Leyva: Linger on a bench is the best way to enjoy the pleasant atmosphere of this town. Grab a coffee and watch the inhabitants.
- Jeep tour: Let you drive by a local guide to the different attractions around – museums, terracota house, Pozo Azul, Raquira.
- Drink one of the only wine produced in the country: Yes, there are some vineyards in Colombia, and most of them are in Boyaca. Visit Ain Karim property to taste it!
- Relax in a SPA: The inhabitants of Bogota love organizing a romantic getaway weekend in Villa de Leyva. Imitate them, and take a package with hammam and massages.